In Disneyland’s early years its shops were operated by retailers who leased the space. One small shop on the north-east block of Main Street, U.S.A. sold a very small product - children’s shoes. The Blue Bird Shoes for Children store was an original Main Street shop when Disneyland opened in 1955.
Street, U.S.A. Located along the southeast block of Main Street near the Cinema, the shop was leased by the Connecticut-based Yale and Towne Co., one of the oldest lock companies in the world.
Today is the birthday of Disney Legend Harper Goff. A number of beloved Disneyland attractions, including the Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, and Golden Horseshoe Saloon, first appeared as concept art drawn by Goff. As one of Disney’s very first Imagineers, Goff began working on the Disneyland project even before it was called Disneyland or any land in Anaheim was acquired.
Following the advice of architects at Pereira and Luckman, Walt Disney knew early on that his park should only have one entrance and exit to help orient guests visiting the expansive and unfamiliar space. Funneling guests past a row of shops isn’t bad for business either. Walt decided this corridor would be, as described in documents presented to investors, a three-block-long commercial street with “the nostalgic quality that makes it everybody’s hometown.”
Did you know that when Disneyland first opened there was a pharmacy on Main Street? That’s right, Upjohn Pharmacy was located at the end of Main Street near the Penny Arcade.